New Passenger/Vehicle Ferry
Mary Ann Market
Miller Boat Line, Put-in-Bay, Ohio
Put-in-Bay (South Bass Island), Ohio
Lake Erie Islands
- Named in honor of company owner, matriarch, lifelong island resident Mary Ann Market (1935-2010).
- Drive on/drive off passenger and vehicle ferry, length 140 feet, 38.5 feet wide, draft 7 feet. The fifth largest vessel in the Miller Ferry fleet, a capacity up to 600 passengers/approximately 28 vehicles.
- The Mary Ann Market is currently at Fincantieri Bay Shipbuilding, Sturgeon Bay, WI. She was constructed at Fraser Shipyard, Superior, WI and designed by naval architect Elliot Bay, Seattle, WA.
- The Mary Ann Market project managers are Miller Boat Line Captain Jake Market (440-781-7391) and Captain David Bianchi.
Passenger Safety and Comfort, Vessel Efficiency Enhancements:
- ADA guided designs of main deck cabin, restroom, and layout.
- Additional deck seating outdoors and an enclosed cabin, panoramic views from spacious upper deck, broad stairwells, audio/visual messaging, quiet ride, and easily sanitized surfaces.
- Temperature controlled interiors and upper deck enclosed cabin. Upper deck forward facing and side cabin windows to allow wide vistas.
- 3x Caterpillar C-18s/Tier 3 EPA/803 HP each, total 2409 HP.
- Home port is Put-in-Bay (South Bass Island), Ohio. Journey home and estimated time of arrival will be announced on Facebook, Twitter, and MillerFerry.com.
- The Mary Ann Market will have an Automatic Identification System (AIS). See MarineTraffic.com or download their app.
Mary Ann Market images from Fraser Shipyard in Superior, WI.
Photo credit: David Schauer of Duluth, MN.
About Miller Boat Line
The Miller Boat Livery was founded in 1905 in the island harbor of Put-in-Bay as a water taxi, fishing charter and ice harvesting company. The company evolved under owners Lee and Mary Miller during the late 1940’s, ’50’s and ’60’s into a ferry boat line with a fleet of four passenger/vehicle ferries. William E. Market (Bill) and his wife Mary Ann of Put-in-Bay purchased the Miller Boat Line in 1978 from Mary Miller. The Markets chose to keep the name “Miller” in honor of the founding family. Bill Market oversaw the construction of four new ferries; the Islander (built 1983), South Bass (built 1989), William Market (built 1993), and Put-in-Bay (built 1997, lengthened 2010). These newer, larger vessels were designed to accommodate more passengers, carry longer and taller construction-type vehicles, as well as increased speed to maintain a more frequent trip schedule. During the 1980’s and ’90’s the older vessels were sold to other Great Lakes ferry companies.
Today Miller Boat Line is owned and operated by Bill and Mary Ann’s children, Julene Market, Billy Market and Scott Market, and also Billy and Scott Market’s children work within the company. The family states, “We look forward to welcoming the new Mary Ann Market, it will be a proud and nostalgic moment to see her operate alongside the other island ferries.”